Saturday, June 1, 2013

Breaking My Habit, Day 26: Mind Trick

I've done it!

I've think about this through, and finally I've convinced myself to attend the Jakarta Startup Weekend

Hi, have we met before?
See you at the event, fellas! :)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Ok, I'll write some more just because I don't want to sound too lazy, hahaha.

I got this new trick to force myself into trying something new: by investing my money first (pay the registration money) before i really make up by mind about the thing. I already tested this for the public speaking class and now I'm trying it for the running event and the startup event. 

It works because by doing this, I'm actually preventing myself from getting a cold feet at the last minute and bail myself out. Imagine the 2 scenarios:

  • "Will I come to this event? I don't know, I think I want to come.. (but there's nothing that can stop me from not going)"
  • "Will I come to this event (which had cost me IDR 1.500.000)? Hell yeah I'm coming! It's my money we're talking about!"

Hmm, I think it just shows how shallow I am.. Well, in my defense, even the great Dragon Warrior trained by exploiting his own weakness.

"I'll do anything for this!"
Aren't I afraid that I will regret coming to [...] event? Well, not really, because I'm choosing only events where I'm interested to go but still not brave enough to attend. And if I actually not enjoying the event, that's still okay too, because at least now I know where's my limit when choosing an event.

So yeah, I know this method was less elegant than actually being brave from the start, but hey, if it works, then it works :)


No comments:

Post a Comment